Lore is a resource that can be assimilated to research. It stacks up as the game goes on and allows players to unlock knowledges from the Lore Tree. Knowledges are bonuses that are divided in three main branches : Production, Military, and Economy. Unlocking enough knowledges grants other additional bonuses called "Blessing" and can eventually lead to a Wisdom Victory. In game, the Lore menu can be opened by pressing the shorcut "L".
The Knowledge tree[edit | edit source]
The lore tree is composed of a standard setup of knowledges with additional five clan-specific knowledges. Two of them can be found respectively at the end of the Production and Economy branch, and the three others replace standard knowledges, depending on the clan. Thereby, even though most of the knowledges are common, each clan has his unique lore tree that will affect its play style.
Lore Sources[edit | edit source]
|Population Size||Lore generated|
- Population - Some lore is gained based on population size.
- Loremaster - Produce 3 Lore at Runestones, Carved Stones or Ancient Graveyard, production gets a bonus in Circle of Stones and Relic of the Gods.
Erudition gives an additional 20% bonus to all loremasters.
- Sailors - Each sailor produces 0.8 Lore when on Lore Raids. Shipbuilding increases sailors production by 20%.
- Vedrfolnir - Healing the creature earns +100.
- Ancient Graveyard gives +50 to the first player who colonize it.
- Ruins - Scouting them gives at least +50. This is a powerful early boost.
- Altar of Kings - Passively produces 2 Lore.
- Jörmunr - Produce lore based on territory size. Allows areas to be colonized with lore.
|Number of areas||1 - 5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12||13||14|
- Boar clan : Mender - Produce 1 Lore each, if not actively healing.
- Raven clan : Raiding coastal tiles related to Lore mechanics (with Ruins, Runestones, etc) grants the player +80
- Horse clan : Excavation allows Eitria and Brok to produce lore while mining. Making it one of the key knowledges of the clan.
- Kraken clan : Knowledge from Beyond makes trade routes generate lore. Also a key knowledge of the clan.
Knowledges cost[edit | edit source]
Blessings and Wisdom Victory[edit | edit source]
Starting when achieving your 6th Knowlegde and further for every additional 3 Knowledge learned, you may select a Blessing from the Gods.
Freya's Blessing - Reduces loss of Food production during winter by 50% and Wood consumption by 15%.
Baldr's Blessing - You gain +3 Happiness.
Jord's Blessing - You gain 15 Stone and 10 Iron.
Once you have learned 15 Knowledges and unlocked the 3 Blessings, you may unlock the last Blessing, Ancestral Knowledge, at which time, you win a Wisdom Victory.
Tips and Tricks[edit | edit source]
Carved Stone wastes valuable stone. You may want to build it only if going for wisdom victory and with Erudition to half its cost. Building it on Circle of Stones or Relic of the Gods makes the loremaster benefit from the area bonus too.
In multiplayer games, lore choices are just as important as build order. While some are almost mandatory (Trading, Recruitment, Fur Coats, Military Strategy, Most of Happiness-related Clan Unique...), others can be very situational and nearly useless most of the time (Hearthstone, Negotiation, Monster Slayer, Erudition...). Watch your clan page for more specific advice.